- This event has passed.
Winter Seminar Series: Volcanic Wine
February 16, 2019, 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm$10
Dramatic landscapes. Committed growers. Distinctive wines.
Some of the most distinctive and intriguing wines in the world have one thing in common – vines growing in volcanic soils. Typically, it is the volcanic ash that has the greatest influence to the vines. The ash is porous, and it mixes with rocks, creating a hospitable environment for plants to absorb water through their roots. The occasional eruption of an active volcano being a notable downside.
We have a selection of wines from volcanic soils, some obvious, some surprising. Join us as we clamber up the slopes and show what a little lava and ash can do.
- Inama, Soave Classico DOC, 2017
- Graci, Etna Bianco DOC, 2016
- Gaia, Assyrtiko Santorini PDO ‘Thalassitis’, 2017
- Envínate, Ycoden-Daute-Isora D.O. Tinto ‘Benje’, 2017
- Mastroberardino, Lacryma Christi del Vesuvio DOC, 2017
- Seven Hills, Cabernet Sauvignon ‘Seven Hills Vineyard’, 2013
The Seminar begins promptly at 2pm, please arrive a few minutes before.
Includes an appropriately paired snack
Seating is very limited.
Reservations are required, by email or phone 505.983.2100
$10 Seminar Fee, credited with a $100 purchase.